Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cryfest Conference and a Big Change

A couple of weeks ago our church had it's semiannual general {worldwide} conference. There are two sessions on Saturday and two sessions on Sunday. The messages were timely and inspiring. Between sessions on Sunday, Northrop and I made an announcement to our children. We are moving.
As we discussed the reasons why and how we tried to stay, the water works began. It started immediately with the oldest and continued down through the children by age until it reached the six year old where it stopped dead in it's tracks. She couldn't figure out why the others were crying and had to be told to stop asking as it wasn't helping anyone else get control.
We tried for over a year to find work locally, but it just isn't working out. We love our branch and the community, the high schoolers love their school, one has a boyfriend. Well, the Lord has other plans for us. We found a house rather quickly and it's in the same ward we lived in when we lived there the last time. Everything seems to be working out very nicely. I'm not posting the location as this is a very public forum. To find out, call or email me. :)
The older girls will be able to go to girls camp with both our old branch and our new ward. I thought it would be a great way to be with old friends and make new friends too. We took the kids to look at the house and they love it. 3 acres, little pond, deck, circular driveway, not too much lawn, in the country but not too far out of town, culdesac, woodstove, well, large living room and dining room, large master bedroom, walk-in closet, large master bathroom with a jetted tub (ooooooo!), an actual separate laundry room. Our next step is to find out when our kids are out of school but the new school will be in session so we can go check out the high school.
There's a little frog that lives in our strawberry patch in front of our house. I suggested that after we have the moving van all packed, we should catch that little frog and take it with us. The kids loved that idea and said it could live in our pond and we could put goldfish in the pond too.
Back to conference. The young women of the family went to their friends' houses for the afternoon session and to visit in the evening. One father texted Northrop with this message, "I had 6 kids and 1 wife crying all during conference--thanks!".
While the girls were having their cryfest with their friends, I was happy as a clam. I wasn't happy that the kids were a little shocked and upset, I was happy that it was now all out in the open and I could talk to MY friends about it! I had known for a month and was already getting rid of things we don't need and organizing a yard sale pile in the garage. We cleaned out the garage and I went through clothes, closets, and cupboards. Now I can actually pack things we won't need for a while.
Now everyone seems to be ok with the move. We talk about the weather, the house, the schools, the ward. I haven't heard any complaints or moaning about it. We keep talking it up and finding ways to make it more comfortable for everyone.
Our dog won't be moving with us. She'll be moving in with a friend who she loves better than us anyway. Our cats will come with us. They live outside and aren't a problem. We couldn't leave Lucy anyway because she's Harmony's baby.
Now, if only we could get Al to move too...

1 comment:

Hanaike House said...

Wow, that is exciting. Good luck with everything. And congratulations on North's mission call!