Monday, February 14, 2011

Friends

A couple of weeks ago, Angel came to me with a "friend" problem. A girl that hangs out with Angel and her best friend, Bailyn, called to ask Angel if she could borrow some gloves to go on an activity. Well, this "friend" had borrowed things before and not returned them. She has also enriched her wallet from the wallets of our family. Needless to say, she is no longer allowed on our property.
Angel respectfully told this "friend" that she will not be lending to her. When the "friend" argued that she had returned other items "borrowed", Angel told her that she didn't remember that. The "friend" kept aruing and Angel held her tongue and her ground. I was impressed that she didn't appear to be upset on the phone even though she was starting to be.
The "friend" called right back after Angel hung up the phone and proceeded to harass her by telling her she was selfish and stuck up. That's when I intervened. I took the phone and calmly, but firmly told this "friend" that it was unacceptable to harrass and bully Angel, that Angel didn't have to lend her stuff out, and not to call and harrass anymore.
She didn't call back, but continued to bully at school the next day. I told Angel to not hang around her, but to avoid her. If Bailyn says anything, Angel should invite her to hang out with her, but she would not be spending time with the other "friend". I said to stick to the plan and it should all resolve in a few days.
The next day, Angel went off by herself or with other friends. Bailyn told her she was overreacting and to come back. Angel invited her to choose her (Angel), but that she would not be around the other girl anymore. The same day, wouldn't you know, the "friend" started demanding that Bailyn start lending her things and giving her money.
I bet you can guess what happened next. Yep! Bailin left the other "friend" and started hanging out with Angel again. As far as I know, the other girl isn't harassing them. If she does, the next step is to call the school and maybe even her father. So far so good.
I'm so proud of Angel for the way she handled this issue in her young life. She's 12 (almost 13) and is in the 7th grade. She has very mature and well thought out thinking for someone her age. In her discussion with a friend about liking boys, she had very good arguments on why they aren't mature enough to handle a serious relationship. All those family home evening and young women lessons are sure paying off with her. It's wonderful to see her applying those things she has learned.
Way to go, Angel!

No comments: