Saturday, September 5, 2009

Catch Up


It's a busy time of year when the kids are going back to school, harvest is full on which means canning, branch social coming up, primary sacrament meeting program, and figuring out how to run my Mary Kay business profitably. Oh, and Plum Ridge, Northrop's work has a big Halloween Party every year. Their theme is Alice In Wonderland and they've asked Northrop and me to play the King and Queen of Hearts (just my style!). That means sewing costumes. Thankfully, I have two months. For obvious reasons, I'm getting started now. I've already got patterns--bought them when they were on sale 10 for $1.00 each. So far, all this has been a learning experience. I'm trying to manage everything well and not let something go. Visiting teaching has been something I've been good at the last few months and we had a primary quarterly activity last month. Things still aren't where I want them, but are improving. A friend of mine said she'd let something go if she thought she wasn't able to do everything. I can certainly see her logic. I think Heavenly Father wants me to learn to manage several things at once. He's certainly giving me grace as my day ("Come, Come, Ye Saints") and helping me work it out. I like Elder Bednar's definition of grace: enabling power. I do feel buoyed up and carried along.

Charity, Celestial, and Harmony are going to a new school this year, Eagle Ridge High School. It's a charter school that emphasizes technology and preparing for college. It's a requirement that students take dual credit courses at the community college or at Oregon Institute of Technology here in Klamath Falls to graduate. The girl's last high/middle school wasn't keeping up with their educational needs. They weren't being prepared for college and help wasn't forthcoming in us enrolling in dual credit courses on our own. The school hasn't met state testing requirements in 6 years.

Harmony was bored at school. She's gotten straight A's since she's been in kindergarten and hasn't even had to pay much attention in school. We had her promoted from the 8th grade to the 9th grade this year so she could attend Eagle Ridge with her sisters and be challenged at school. They will match her learning speed and give her the learning environment she needs. She already socializes with kids older than her at mutual and handles herself maturely and her older sisters and another friend will be there with her. We're sure she'll be fine.

Well, that's a quick catch up for now. Hope everyone is doing well. Keep the Faith!

1 comment:

Hanaike House said...

Hey Sheryl, your intelligent daughters make me remember how smart you were in high school and college. It drove me crazy that I would spend hours studying in a silent room just to get a B- while you were able to get all A's while studying with the t.v. or music on. Your daughters are lucky to have inherited your brains.