Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hawaii Trip, pt 1

It has been suggested that I blog about our Hawaii trip, so here goes. Northrop and I knew that our 20th anniversary and North's full time mission were coming up in a couple of years and the dynamics and size of our family were about to change, so we wanted to do something big. After our honeymoon to Hawaii, we told each other we wanted to come back with our children. It seemed to be the perfect thing.

We saved our money in a savings account specifically for the trip for two years. We also did some yard work and house work jobs. We asked the kids to contribute $5.00 for each year of their age at the time of the trip into the account.

When it became time to start planning, budgeting, and booking airline tickets, the airfare was in the $800.00 per seat range. Disneyland was looking pretty good then, and we talked the kids into going to Southern California instead. Then, we got an email advertising airfare to Hawaii for about $380.00 per seat. We promptly bought the plane tickets and proceeded to plan the rest of the trip. Suzanne Bree sent us information about where to go and what to do. It was great information. Thanks Suzanne!

I made the kids who could make 2 packing lists. One for travelling and one for in Hawaii. They had a bag for the van only and shared carry-on bags for Hawaii. We didn't check anything because we're cheap and didn't want to pay baggage fees. The airline didn't count umbrella strollers or car seats as carry-ons. They took them at the gate and gave them back when we deplaned. We also went to Subway and everyone got foot-long subs, half for lunch and half for dinner during the flight. You wouldn't believe what they want for boxed lunches on the plane!

We broke up the trip by staying with Davis and Shirley Stanger in Grants Pass overnight. It was a good thing to visit with them and then meet Brandon and continue our trip to the airport in Portland. We flew to Honolulu, picked up our 12 passenger van at the car rental place, and went to find our beach house.

The beach house sleeps 14 people and cost the same as 3 hotel rooms, which we would've had to have if we were to stay at a hotel. It's located just north of Laie. We followed the directions to get there, and were surprised when it wasn't locked. Then the alarm went off and several neighbors and a police officer were quick to respond. They kindly informed us that the beach house we rented was next door! We missed the driveway in the dark, which is easy to understand because it is hidden like the Bat Cave!!! We loved it, though. Plenty of room to spread out and be comfortable. We had our own beach to play at which the kids liked a lot better than Waikiki Beach!

I'll fill everyone in on the rest of our trip in later parts. Who has the time to read a novel (or write one) in one day?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Charity,
You went to Hawaii?!!!!! cool, I remembered when I was in Oahu I loved it!!! So you got a new sister huh that's great, I'm glad to hear that you and your family is doing OK. You know,I saw my good friend ,Danielle Frei,looking at our old middle school year book and when I saw your picture inside I was like,"whoa it's been years since I've seen Charity from middle school", so I looked up on your address and decided to write a letter to you. So what your school like? Marsh Valley Still does the 3 day weekends. when i get my senior pictures I'll send one to you. write to me back soon so we can catch up.

your old pal from middle school,

Colleen