Saturday, July 16, 2011

Well, Californian's, Now What?

I read this morning on the news that California governor Jerry Brown has signed this week into law that the public school system in California must now teach "Gay History". There is no specification on what age they will begin teaching "Gay History". That means they can start with Kindergarten, maybe even preschoolers in Head Start.
I'm going to play "devil's advocate" here, posing some questions and food for thought that I know you are already asking yourselves whether you live in California or not.
What IS "Gay History"? I didn't know gays had "history", like the United States has history, like Christianity or medicine or electronics have history. Does that mean heterosexuals have history too? Does that even make any sense? I suppose everything, every lifestyle, every culture, every world view has "history", how it came to be, but that doesn't mean we teach the history of everything in school.
We really do need to be reasonable about what goes into public education. Education is meant to be something that helps us to be good citizens. The afore mentioned article mentions something vague about teaching tolerance. If that is truly the case, then the curriculum should be focused on bullying not a predatory lifestyle's "history".
So now what? What about all those innocent children who will be exposed to such a destructive, predatory indoctrination? What about YOUR children? What will YOU do?
California couldn't get away with this if the parents expressed their utter rejection of the law (that didn't even let them vote), if they wrote handwritten letters, protested, refused to send their children to public school.
But who will go to all that trouble? Mothers and fathers both work. They are very busy with trying to make a living and driving their kids to every sport and club and activity under the sun. Public school is free day care and free meals twice a day. Who will really go to all the effort of home school (which can be done in the evening, while day care must also be provided during work hours) or pay the price of private school? Who thinks they actually CAN home school or afford private school? What about moving to almost any other state (Massachusetts and New York excluded!)? I know that eventually, there will be no where else to go, but why submit our children to such evil until absolutely necessary? Even then there are other options.
What are your kids actually worth to you? What are you willing to sacrifice for their well being? We all knew this was coming eventually. Are you prepared to take the inherent risks of trying to reverse the indoctrination at home after school? I know some of my kids have idolized their teacher and were absolutly sure the teacher was right on something I knew wasn't right.
So, the article I read said California won't be able to afford new textbooks 'til 2013. Big deal. I have every confidence in the Gay movement that their textbooks will be donated to all the public schools in California. Heck! They may even get a grant to do so! No child left behind!
If it were us, we'd move or home school. No question or hesitation about it. This is one of the reasons why I've refused to move back to California. So, you Californians, why do you stay? What are you going to do and why? I'm not challenging your judgement, I'm looking to understand your point of view. Maybe there's something I haven't thought about. What do you think?

5 comments:

PinedaPlace said...

As you know, I was born and raised in one of the most controversial areas for being a Mormon-the very one you speak of. Yet it was a result of this that forced me to live my testimony out every day, because nobody else was going to be there to do it for me. It was hard, and I was challenged daily-but with parents who taught me correct principles, were honest and open with me, and who taught me that our church is one of inclusion and of STANDING for what you believe in, not just leaving or running away when it gets hard, I have been able to have a foundation to build upon in the easy and hard times. Protecting our children and teaching them is one of the most important things we can possibly do; it as the quote says ‘we need to live in the world, but not of it’. but whether we like it or not we do still live in the world as Christ once did-and we need to stand as a light and friend to those who need it most, and are furthest from it, even when we are censured for it. And when they challenge us and don’t respect us, rather then fighting fire with fire, we need to rise above that and turn the other cheek because our gospel is one of love, and fight alternate ways of living what we know is right, perhaps as you said by homeschooling or getting the child excused from this section of the curriculum to teach them what we deem right. And if all this is not possibly, and we still feel like we belong in this place, that is when the parents can intervene before hand and prepare the child in righteous, respectful ways.

I also believe that to challenge the worth a parent has for their child by where they live, be that in physical or spiritual situations, is making a judgement that is not ours to make; it is between that family and the Lord. I am sure that you and your family are spiritually motivated to be where you are today, and I have always admired and respected you guys for that. But California needs the Saints for this very reasons-the school system needs us as well, and Heavenly Father has many of us there for a reason. To speak of it as if it were Sodom and Gomorra is something that only the prophet can do-and when he does then we will follow. But until then, we should stand for what is right, what is true, wherever we are, and not be moved.

Elder Cook put it best in his October 2008 talk “Live By Faith, Not by Fear” saying “I know that many of you are concerned about raising your children during these difficult times and increasing their faith. When my wife and I were starting our family in the San Francisco Bay Area, we had that same concern. At a critical point our stake members were advised by Elder Harold B. Lee, then a member of the Twelve, that we could raise our families in righteousness if we would:
Follow the prophet.
Create the true spirit of the gospel in our hearts and homes.
3. Be a light to those among whom we live.
4. Focus on the ordinances and principles taught in the temple. (See D&C 115:5; Harold B. Lee, “Your Light to Be a Standard unto the Nations,” Ensign, Aug. 1973, 3–4.)
As we followed this counsel, our faith increased and our fears decreased. I believe we can raise righteous children anywhere in the world if they are taught religious principles in the home.”
By following these priciples, we can, and should raise our righteous families anywhere and everywhere. We are lights to be lights to the world, not just the areas that agree with our way of life. Whether it feels like it or not, I believe that we are needed there, just as I needed to be there to refine my testimony.
Anywho, enough out of me. I hope all is well with you guys-I am so happy for North and I hope he is doing great on his mission, and that you guys are doing so well. If you in Rexburg any time soon, let us know and we will have to do games and cookies or something!

Julia [Hanaike] Pineda

Donna said...

There will come a time when, for the sake of our children, the church will authorize school to be held in church buildings with lds teachers. I know this because President Kimball wrote a letter in answer to a request by ward members, to our bishop in Ogden about using the church for school classes. He wrote that the time was not yet but soon would be.
Right now, while there is still hope of sharing the gospel and saving His children, we need to be out there doing our missionary work. I know and trust that the Lord will lead us away from public schools when the time is right.
But for now there are many good people out there who need a chance to hear the gospel. It's up to us to make use of this situation to the Lord's advantage and theirs because even though Satan is the author of this evil, The Lord's work and the salvation of His children will not be frustrated.

Sheryl, Queen of Maranatha said...

Thank you Julia and Donna for your comments. They were well thought out and timely. I agree with everything you said and if it really came down to it, we would certainly seek the Lord's counsel and guidance and follow His direction. I admire the LDS people who work so hard to be good examples and raise their children in righteousness.

Donna said...

I love you, Sheryl, and I love your spunk! There certainly is a place for stepping up and being willing to do whatever it takes to keep our homes and families safe!

Hanaike House said...

Hey, Sheryl. I’ve been thinking alot about your post, but haven’t had time to comment until now. (I’ve been on vacation, to Julia’s graduation in Rexburg! I’ve been enjoying so many memories of our time here! We went by dorm 2; the gym where we played volleyball, the pool where we went swimming; what great memories. Have you ever told your kids about our road trip to Missoula Montana for the volleyball tournament? Ha! Ha! Anyway, you were the best roommate, and you and Tammy were always my best friends.) But, anyway, back to your post:

In your post you used the term “predatory lifestyle”. I completely disagree with that. Being gay does not make you a predator. Unfortunately, there are adults out there that are dangerous to children of their same sex and children of their opposite sex. I don’t think that a person’s sexual orientation determines whether they are a predator or not.

Living in California is difficult in some ways, but I think it also provides its residents - especially its Mormon residents - a unique view of the world that brings about compassion towards those that live differently than us. When you put a face to “those” people; when you have a friend or a family member or a co-worker that is gay, you see that individual for who they are: a good friend; a decent person; someone that would help you out in any situation; someone that you disagree with on this one subject. After prop 8, which I voted yes on, I assumed that any gay person would hate me, and not want to have anything to do with me, but that has not been the case. They have decided that even though we disagree on this subject that is very important to them, I am still worth having in their lives. They know how I feel and I know how they feel; it is about mutual respect and yes, tolerance, on both sides. Those that disagree with me on gay marriage - whether they themselves are gay or straight - have always respected my views and have never gone behind my back, trying to indoctrinate my children on what they believe.

Now, as far as this new development in the public schools, I’m thinking about what to do about it. Last year “Harvey Milk Day” was instituted. I was working in a junior high school I expected there to be posters up, and assembly about it, etc. but there was nothing different that I observed. I think my kids stayed home; went to grandma and grandpa’s house anyway, for the day. Now I think I will go to the schools - to the teachers - and ask what exactly will be taught to my children as far as Gay History goes.
I will explain to them that in my opinion this falls under sexual education. I have never had my children participate in school-taught sexual education. I remember explaining to
the high school vice-principal last year that it is not that I don’t want my kids learning sex
ed, its that I want to be their teacher on this subject. Maybe I will approach it from that point. If I feel that I am not getting the respect I deserve, as the parent, then maybe my children will do home school for part of the year.

So, I guess all of the above is why I can still live and raise my children in California.